Azizi Ahmad Education Pages

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Activity In Philosophy In Education I

Azizi Ahmad
Site Owner

There is a philosophy behind every school system, based on the views and values of the educators, as well as the society that is sponsoring the education. The philosophy starts with the view of reality and definitions of truth and goodness. From this, the mission of the schools and the emphasis of the instruction are established. We had also discussed some of the basic philosophies of education Perennialism, Idealism, Realism Experimentalism and Existentialism

Give your answers briefly based on:

What are their viewpoints and beliefs? Which philosophy should you use or your pick?

January 24, 2011 at 11:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nor Amalina

All the basic philosophies of education are varied in a certain way.

Perennialism: Perennialists believe that education, like human nature, is a constant and is a preparation for life.

While for idealists, the schools' function is to sharpen intellectual processes. It means that Idealism would favor schools teaching subjects of the mind.

For the experimentalist, the world is an ever-changing place. The experimentalist openly accepts change and continually seeks to discover new ways to expand and improve society.

Realism: For the realist, the world is as it is, and the job of schools would be to teach students about the world. Students would be taught factual information for mastery.

Lastly, the existentialist sees the world as one personal subjectivity.

In my opinion, I would like to choose the Experimentalism because the world change continuously. So that the education that they provided would continuously develop so that the student could involved in discovering and experiencing the world in which they live.

January 25, 2011 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jaazli ahmad

There are many kinds of educational philosophies, but for the sake of simplicity it is possible to extract five distinct ones.

Perennialists is the distinguishing characteristic of humans in the ability to reason, education should focus on developing rationality.

Idealism is a philosophy that espouses the refined wisdom of men and women. Reality is seen as a world within a person's mind. Truth is to be found in the consistency of ideas. Goodness is an ideal state, something to be strived for.

Realism is looking at the world is as it is, and the job of schools would be to teach students about the world. Goodness, for the realist, would be found in the laws of nature and the order of the physical world. Truth would be the simple correspondences of observation.

For the experimentalist, the world is an ever-changing place. Reality is what is actually experienced. Truth is what presently functions. Goodness is what is accepted by public test.

Existentialism sees reality is a world of existing, truth subjectively chosen, and goodness a matter of freedom.

I think as a teacher, I supposed to be in the category of idealism because we should be the model of ideal behavior. For me, the schools' function is to sharpen intellectual processes, to present the wisdom of the ages, and to present models of behavior that are exemplary. Then, students would have a somewhat passive role, receiving and memorizing the reporting of the teacher. Change in the school program would generally be considered an intrusion on the orderly process of educating.

January 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

faizul ikhwan

Perennialism~believes that one should teach something that can be used anytime and everywhere.

Idealism-the idea of developing and discovering each individual’s abilities and full moral excellence so that they can serve the society better.

Realism~believes that reality exists independent of human mind. More focus on physical world such as science and mathematic.

Experimentalism~ the only real things are those that can be experienced and experimented. Existentialism~ believes that physical world has no connection with things that beyond human understanding such as the existence of God.

In my opinion, to choose one philosophy is not a gooddecision. A combination of philosophies is needed in order to produce a perfectsociety. However, as a Muslim, I will choose some part of these philosophiesthat not contradict with my religion’s believe and integrate them into myphilosophy of education.

January 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

atiqah yusoff

As for me, I prefer experientialism. Experiantialism is one of philosophical perspectives in education. Basically, experientialism focuses in problem-solving and experimenting. This type of teaching often has students to be in groups. In my opinion, this method of teaching is better as it will prepare the students for their future. Through group works, the students will learn how to work with people and this will prepare them when they need to work and socialize with people. Since experientialism focuses in problem-solving and experimenting, the students can use it to solve their problems and view their problems in a correct way in the future. 

January 25, 2011 at 9:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nurulsufi

Perennialists believe that the focus of education should be the ideas that have lasted over centuries. It should always be the ideas that is suitable for a long time period .

Idealism is defined as the view that the existence of objects depends wholly or in part on the minds of those perceiving them.

realism~reality exists independent of human mind. More focus on physical world such as science and mathematic.

Experimentalism believes that things are constantly changing. It is based on the view that reality is what you experience. It believes that truth is what works right now and that goodness comes from group decisions.

Existentialism believes in the personal interpretation of the world. It is based on the view that the individual defines reality, truth and goodness.

In my opinion, experimentalism is the best philosophy if needed to choose one because the world is changing due to the technology and many things. We need to look at the era itself. Besides, everything is changing due to its motion even for education. But, the combination of those philosophies would be better. As example, the combination of realism, experimentalism and also existentialism. As for realism, it focus on the things that are exist for real such as science and mathematic. Logic play important roles here.

January 26, 2011 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Debbie Ho.Y.L.

Perennialism - using the true skills and techniques that are believed to be beneficial to disiplining students' mind. Emphasizing that pupils should not be taught solely on information (may soon be outdated).

Idealism- real experiences and self-aware thought, rather than the ready-made answers.

Realism- learning through observation

Experimentalism- things keep changing. It is based on our view that reality is what we experience.

Existentialism- personal view of the world.

Learning is a fun process. By using existentialism,students could learn what they want and discuss freely. They are free to use their personal interpretation to view on a certain topic. It allows them to think critically and voice out their own opinion. We will notice that that will build up their self-confidence where there is no right or wrong answers. This philosophical not only widens their mind to think "out of the box" but also expand their creativeness.

January 26, 2011 at 2:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Muhammad Syazwan

Some of the basic philosophies which were discussed earlier in the class are:

Perennialism : Philosophy which stated that teachers are only supposed to teach things which consist of everlasting important in one's life. Thus, teaching principle is much important rather than teaching for facts.

Idealism : Philosophy that depends greatly on the ideas of the thinkers to be applied in the classroom which said that ideas(such as becoming a hero, genius students) are superior and it should be followed by students than what the reality provided for them.

Realism : Philosophy which stated that teaching of proven facts( training, practical) are more reliable than various ideas and theories expressed.

Experimentalism : Philosophy which stated about the important of reconstruction and reorganization of experience and experimentation are essential for the future benefits of the students.

Existentialism : Related to education, the subject matter of existentialist classrooms should be a matter of personal choice. Due to this philosophy, students are regards upon their unique ability rather than as an object to be measured from different aspects.

The best philosophy to be practiced in the classroom will be differ. As for a primary school child, the idealism is the best as they can learn and develop from the examples given. Whereas for the secondary or higher learning institution, the most suitable philosophy is realism and experimentalism.

January 26, 2011 at 6:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nurul syafiqah

Perennialism ~ It focuses to teach everlasting and constant ideas so that people can solve problems by the same things they had learnt. 

Idealism ~ The aim of education in idealism is to discover and develop each individual's abilities and full moral excellence in order to better serve society.

Realism ~ Education based on realism is about how we perceive the reality.

Experimentalism ~ Education based on experimentalism is more to experience and observation.

Existentialism ~ Existentialism believes in the personal interpretation of the world.

I choose EXPERIMENTALISM because personally, I learn new things from experience. Besides, the observation throughout the experience help me to grasp the information and knowledge better.

January 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ikrimah

perenneliasm~ one should teach the truth and reality about something

idealism ~it discovers one's abilities

realism~it would be found in the law of nature and the order of physical world

experimentalism~things that always changes to discover the new ways for improvement

existentsialism~the world as one personal subjectivity and has no connection with things

in my opinion, the combination of all these philosophies will be better because we can't take for granted to take one  philosophy as it will be lacking at the certain parts.

January 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

syafeez90

For me I prefer to choose realism and experimentalism. It because with realism the children will learn to know the true facts and develop independent human mind. Then our children will know what the real world is all about and will be more mature in thinking. The experimentalism help the children learn new things base on thier experience. As we know experince is the best teacher. So realism and experimentalism is suitable in school system.

January 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Edan Muncche'

Philosophies of education varied in many concepts and approaches. Five basic philosophies of education are:

Perennialism: Focuses on personal development . Education is everlasting process for the preparation of life.

Idealism : Education through reality. It stresses the central role of the ideal or the spiritual in the interpretation of experience.

Experimentalism: Since the world is expanding and keep innovating herself, education should stress more on experience and observation to keep the validity of the ideas.

Existentialism : Stresses more on person's judgement . The world is see as a subject and everyone is free to give their interpretation and thoughts.

Education as how it should be must be interactive and fun-learning process. By implementing the existentialism approach, I do believe that students learn better when they are given spaces to make critical judgement and personal interpretation on a certain matter. Education is a non-stop learning process and existentialism philosphy resulted best as students could dig up their hidden potential and gain self-confidence throughout the process. ^_^

January 26, 2011 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nur Atirah

we have five basic philosophies of education.

Perennialism ~  one should teach the thing that one deems to be of everlasting importance to all people everywhere. it means that one should teach the principle not the facts.

Idealism ~  it is the idea of discovering ones potential. it emphasizes the pre-eminent importance of mind, soul and spirit. 

Realism ~ it is a learning through an observation. It is based on the view that reality is what we observe and look around us. 

Experimentalism believe that things are constantly changing and it is based on the view that reality is what you experience. 

Existentialism ~ it believes on the interpretation of the world. it views the reality through an observation.

it seems that the combination of several of those philosophies may be the best approaches in our education system.  :)

January 27, 2011 at 3:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hamizah

Perennialism - universal knowledge that is based on fact and that is always been seen as everlasting process

Idealism - philosophy theory which mantains that experience is ultimately based on mental activity

Experimentalism - knowledge gain based on the scientific experiment in ditermining the validity of the ideas

Realism - objectively given by nature and link with human mind

Existentialism - discovery of knowledge and based on how ones intreprets the world 

As a future teacher, I think the most influencal principle towards education is perennialism. It is because this principle will help students to be able to achieve great standard in learning process and also maintains the achievement of students. Educators need to think wisely to prepare the students for the global learning.

January 27, 2011 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aida

The basic philosophies of education are Perennialism, Idealism, Realism, Experimentalism and Existentialism.

For parennialism, it is based on the view that reality comes from fundamental fixed truths-especially related to God. It is the educational philosophy of the educators who wishes to teach students how to think and reason.

And idealism believes in refined wisdom and also is based on the view that reality is a world within a person's mind.

Realism believes in the world as it is through what we observe and what we sense in the reality.

Meanwhile, experimentalism is a view on what we experience in reality and it believes that things is constantly changing.

For existentialism, we believes in the persona interpretation of the world. It is based on the view that the individual defines reality, truth and goodness.

In my opinion, I rather choose experimentalism because as a educator, I want the students to discover the new things through their experiences and makes them enable to solve the problems. I'm also like to discover and try something to gain knowledge.From that I know how to solve the problems if I had gone through some of them before. But, of course it is better if the combination of these basic philosophies being used to educate the students. It enables to produce a balance and holistic student in the future.

January 27, 2011 at 9:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Syahirah

Perennialism - It focuses on the ability to reason, think rationally and develop moral values rather than facts as preparation of life.

Idealism - It focuses on discovering individual’s abilities and faces the reality.

Realism - It focuses on proven facts and how human mind perceives it.

Experimentalism - It accepts the changes and progressively seeks new alternatives for better improvement through experiences.

Existentialism - It highlights on personal’s interpretation of the world and they are responsible to determine for themselves what is wrong and right.  

In my view, I prefer experimentalismphilosophy because we can expose the students to a variety of learningexperiences because it is a progressive approach. It is a good opportunity todiscover students’ strength and weaknesses through new ways of learning. As individualsdiffer in abilities, the teachers are able to cater to the students’ needs withdifferent approaches. I believe that the students can learn and meet their fullestpotentials using experimentalism philosophy in this IT era.

January 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

farhana idayu

Perennialism – it regards essentialism, and its view that knowledge stems primarily from the empirical findings of scientists, as undermining the importance of our capacity to reason as individuals; that is, to think deeply, analytically, flexibly, and imaginatively.

Idealism - the attitude that places special value on ideas and ideals as products of the mind, in comparison with the world as perceived through the senses.

Realism - an act of accepting reality in its actual spirit and essence including facts, physical universe, events, necessities of life, atmosphere and others as they are, as opposing to the abstract or ideal.

Experimentalism - Knowledge is a collection of experiences. It stresses the experimental method as the method of inquiry.

Existentialism -concerned with finding self and the meaning of life through free will, choice, and personal responsibility For me,

I would like to choose Perennialism since by teaching principles people would able to have the basic guide that they can use to apply or doing things in life. I think it is better to learn principles rather than facts only which may cause people to become dependable on memorizing things and become less dynamic. In school, I would like to see my students to be able to learn about new things or concepts and apply or practice them in life in their own way and interpretation as long as they are on the right path.

January 27, 2011 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

khairin

There are five basic philosophies that are perennialism, idealism, Realism, Experimentalism and Existentialism

Perennialism- It is not rooted in any particular time or place. It is based on the view that reality comes from truths.

Idealism- imagines things in ideal form. The varieties of teaching methods are used to stimulate the student thinking.

Realism – reality made up of facts

Experimentalism - things are constantly changing

Existentialism- the personal interpretation. Emphasis on choice, freedom.

In my opinion, I will choose existentialism because as educator I am free to create various teaching tools to teach my students. I can know my students’ abilities. Not only that, students also can discuss with friends to discover new things and doing activities freely. They are also free to give opinion during lesson.

January 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nadia

Perennialism

It is based on the view that reality comes from fundamentalfixed truths-especially related to God. It believes that people find truth through reasoning and revelation and that goodnessis found in rational thinking.

Idealism
Idealism believes in refined wisdom. It is based on the view that reality is a world within a person's mind. It believesthat truth is in the consistency of ideas and that goodness is an ideal state to strive to attain.

Realism
Realism believes in the world as it is. It is based on the view that reality is what we observe. It believes that truthis what we sense and observe and that goodness is found in the order of the laws of nature.

Experimentalism
Experimentalism believes that things are constantly changing. It is based on the view that reality is what you experience.It believes that truth is what works right now and that goodness comes from group decisions.

Existentialism
Existentialism believes in the personal interpretation of the world. It is based on the view that the individual definesreality, truth and goodness.

choosen philosophy:

i will choose to combine idealism and realism in my education system. this is related to their believes that such as idealism is more to the usage of mind (thinking/ IQ) ability whereas realism is more to the current situation whether in world generally or in educational field itself. thus, in this kind of situation when current situation is controlled by/ within mind (thinking) or vice versa, the education system will be balance, up to date and equivalent with that particular situation which is can be very flexible and suitable for all (perhaps).

all in all, single type of philosophy is cant be used in a very broad field of education. therefore, as the need to be chosed, i chosed those two which are idealism and realism and i think my choices are the best. thank you.8)

January 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hanisah

Perennialism - it is all about concepts and how the concepts give an impact to students.

Idealism - something which is real that depend on the minds

Realism - something that exist and real

Experimentalism - theory or practice depending on experiment

Existentialism - emphasis on freedom,  individual existence

For me, I choose perennialism because it consists of concepts towards learning and understanding the concepts is actually makes the students understand better.If educators as well as students do understand the concepts in learning, they will not have problems when it comes to answering questions.

January 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.